Wagtunes' Modding Questions

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: Wagtunes' Modding Questions

Post by Isaac »

Grimrock was built in-house for the devs to release a game; the game did not have an editor, much less a consumer scripting reference. Later they released the editor features as part of a [free] patch. They then moved on to designing Grimrock 2.

This is what we have:

https://sites.google.com/site/jkosgrimr ... heat-sheet

With LoG2, they planned for an editor from the start. While I like LoG1 (arguably even better than LoG2), everything about LoG2 is better than LoG1, aside from certain aesthetics.

I mentioned once before that if you are learning to script these games, that you should learn to script in LoG2 before LoG1.... because you will understand LoG1 (limitations) for knowing LoG2.

There is nothing one cannot do better in LoG2 than LoG1, and with better documention of the scripting language.

As for LoG1 functions.... experiment (as we all did). More importantly, learn Lua first. The games support a lot of Lua commands that are not in their game-specific script references.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 10:13 pm Grimrock was built in-house for the devs to release a game; the game did not have an editor, much less a consumer scripting reference. Later they released the editor features as part of a [free] patch. They then moved on to designing Grimrock 2.

This is what we have:

https://sites.google.com/site/jkosgrimr ... heat-sheet

With LoG2, they planned for an editor from the start. While I like LoG1 (arguably even better than LoG2), everything about LoG2 is better than LoG1, aside from certain aesthetics.

I mentioned once before that if you are learning to script these games, that you should learn to script in LoG2 before LoG1.... because you will understand LoG1 (limitations) for knowing LoG2.

There is nothing one cannot do better in LoG2 than LoG1, and with better documention of the scripting language.

As for LoG1 functions.... experiment (as we all did). More importantly, learn Lua first. The games support a lot of Lua commands that are not in their game-specific script references.
I don't even play LoG 2 anymore. It was okay but it just didn't click with me. The ending was ridiculously hard. I had to cheat big time (made all these haste potions) just to get through it. The whole game was just over the top and I had to redo almost every section of the map multiple times just to get enough XP to get through it. The main game took me almost 77 hours to complete.

77 hours.

So I have no desire to learn to program in LoG 2 because I have no desire to play LoG 2 ever again. I have 150 hours of play time on that game while I have over 1500 hours on LoG 1.

That's why I'm trying to learn to program LoG 1.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

The LoG2 campaign is their use of the toolset; their puzzle design; their plot.

Users can make whatever environment they wish with the toolset; whatever story, setting, and gameplay they wish. The engine is simply better (and easier to use) in all respects. :|
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:52 am The LoG2 campaign is their use of the toolset; their puzzle design; their plot.

Users can make whatever environment they wish with the toolset; whatever story, setting, and gameplay they wish. The engine is simply better (and easier to use) in all respects. :|
So I can create an LoG 1 style dungeon in LoG 2?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Certainly. 8-)

*Though Petri has asked that designers not replicate the LoG1 campaign itself.
Last edited by Isaac on Thu May 27, 2021 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

Isaac wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:57 am Certainly. 8-)

*Though Petri has ask that designers not replicate the LoG1 campaign itself.
Oh I wouldn't do that. I'd want to create something entirely different. In fact, the dungeon I'm doing now is rather unusual.
maneus

Post by maneus »

Sorry for late reply. I tested the following and it worked in LoG1:

Code: Select all

onUseItem = function(self, champion)
			champion:damage(100000,"physical")
			return true
		end,
Only problem is, the item is not working in the hands (with the champ pic) but in the equipment menu (and there also in both hands).
wagtunes

Post by wagtunes »

maneus wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 3:41 pm Sorry for late reply. I tested the following and it worked in LoG1:

Code: Select all

onUseItem = function(self, champion)
			champion:damage(100000,"physical")
			return true
		end,
Only problem is, the item is not working in the hands (with the champ pic) but in the equipment menu (and there also in both hands).
Thanks. I've got it working decently enough for my purposes.