Starting 20 Vitality, worth it?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Honelith

Starting 20 Vitality, worth it?

Post by Honelith »

Someone said it has diminishing returns after 14?

Looking to create a Mino Warrior, so 20 starting Vit would be good, I play on Hard mode by the way. :)

Cheers.
eharper256

Re: Starting 20 Vitality, worth it?

Post by eharper256 »

Not entirely useless, it will mean about 25% Poison + Cold Resist. Mostly the former is decent to have.

However, it's only 15 extra HP, and your remaining points pretty much have to go into DEX... well, I wouldn't want a -4 to hit anyway.

Personally, I'd do 20 STR, 11 DEX, and leave VIT on 14, but that's just me.

On the other hand, I've only played normal, so maybe that HP is more valuable on Hard.
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

eharper256 wrote: However, it's only 15 extra HP
How you got that number?
Honelith

Post by Honelith »

Whisper wrote:
eharper256 wrote: However, it's only 15 extra HP
How you got that number?
Vit 14 -> 20 gives an extra 15HP is what he meant I think.

Thanks for the response eharper256. I'm going Head Hunter, so happy to keep Strength at 15, Dex will be 10 to get rid of negative accuracy.
Nerothos

Post by Nerothos »

I think it depends on how confident you are about your dodging skills. I beat the game on hard with 16 vit on my frontline fighters and apart from a few unlucky 1 shots by ogres I didn't have any trouble. Spells are pretty easy to dodge when you make sure you fight enemies on your terms.
pruchel

Post by pruchel »

Unless they're lying to us vitality/willpower also increases the amount gained pr level, dunno by how much. However I had a 20 vit mino and 16 vit human fighter. The mino ended on 211 and the human on 196 hp (without any equipment influencing it). I know I leveled athletics to 5 for the +2 vit early on the human, but don't know how much of a difference that made.

All in all if I could change it I'd smack it all into strength and dex. Missing is the biggest problem and on hard you can't stand toe-to-toe with anything but snails without getting a royal beating. With all my vitality even at level 13 with full valor they got pretty much oneshot by ogres, so vitality on hard.. Meh. Get dex/str and learn to 2x2 them, and it also increases the evasion. If you get hit you're done either way.
Honelith

Post by Honelith »

Thanks pruchel, very insightful.

Something I've noticed is that HP gain when you level up is random, so if you save right before you level, you could maximise your health/mana gain by reloading until you get the max HP gain from the level up.
mystrdat

Post by mystrdat »

Max gain per level (+7 HP) starts at Vitality 18, so no in that regard. Anything over 18 is however quickly gaining you resists, which you can consider being somehow beneficial, I wouldn't.