System error: d3dx9_43.dll missing (with GOG install)

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Crashbanito

Re: System error: d3dx9_43.dll missing (with GOG install)

Post by Crashbanito »

flatearther2 wrote:I get the same error on a Vista machine, which has DirectX 11. I can't downgrade to DirectX 9, as far as I know.

There is no downgrade involved. Your computer stores each release of DirectX separately.
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
mondo84

Post by mondo84 »

I didn't have this issue with the GOG installer.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

JohnMorgan wrote:-- link removed --
A new user's first post is a response to a 4-year-old post, and he asks people to download a D3D .dll from a non-Microsoft website.
Not suspicious at all!
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Zo Kath Ra wrote:
JohnMorgan wrote:--link removed--
A new user's first post is a response to a 4-year-old post, and he asks people to download a D3D .dll from a non-Microsoft website.
Not suspicious at all!
So .. why leave it there? You've been given the power to modify / remove it.

The game comes along with a DX9 installer including this file.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

Dr.Disaster wrote:So .. why leave it there? You've been given the power to modify / remove it.
I wanted to get other people's opinions first :)
khyeron

Post by khyeron »

Weird, I've beaten this game several times (the first one) on Windows 8. For some odd reason, regardless of what I do, it won't work on windows 10 64 bit. Granted, i've had all too many bugs and problems on 10. It looks pretty but its actually SLOW. So was 8. I haven't been impressed since Windows 7, but that isn't the problem. The problem is that the game is simply refusing to work! Yes, its that msvcd100.dll or msvcr100.dll but nothing's worked, countless reboots, reinstalls of direct x, grimrock, grimrock patch, etc. I've even manually deleted the file and reinstalled. No success. Since I have Visual Studio installed for school, I can't just completely wipe and reinstall, either, way too much stuff to replace just for a test.

Ideas?
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Have you installed DirectX 9?
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Isaac wrote:Have you installed DirectX 9?
There is no need to install any additional software on a Win10 system to run both LoG's. Just run their installers and go.

I had a good bunch of no-fun with Win10 in that regard. As long as a Win10 system running DX9 games was not busted by i.e. using some odd gfx driver that f-cked up the DirectX system all is fine. It's pretty sad that such DX f-up's can happen way too easy in Win10 which is why i do not consider it a good gaming OS and try to stay away from it as much as possible.

Now. Ichyeron did not state what his hardware is so his performance problem might start right there.

He also said he has a lot of problems on his Win10 already and that sounds a lot like a busted installation to me.

So what would i do?
1st thing: re-run both vcredist EXE that come with the games.

If that does not fix things i'd make sure i have the most current and only 1(!) gfx driver installed
-> set up Win10 update policy to NOT install drivers on it's own at any time
-> download the latest driver for installed GPU from it's maker
-> download DDU
-> use DDU to remove any gfx driver installed in safe mode
-> install and set up downloaded GPU driver

If this does not fix GPU related problems, open a command line with admin rights, enter "sfc /scannow" and wait until it's finished. In case any found problem can NOT be repaired by this command (check the output on screen), run "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" as a last resort and wait again until finished.

In case this also does not correct present problems (again check output on screen), fixing any problem REQUIRES one of these:
- manual tinkering with system files by i.e. replacing corrupt files with their counterparts from a good Win10 installation by hand
- a System Restore from a previous good backup
- a System Reset / fresh Win 10 Install
Last edited by Dr.Disaster on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Dr.Disaster wrote:
Isaac wrote:Have you installed DirectX 9?
It's pretty sad that such DX f-up's can happen way too easy in Win10 which is why i do not consider it a good gaming OS and try to stay away from it as much as possible.
I consider it a toddler's toy OS; (complete with nanny-ware). It's going to be the reason I eventually switch to Mint.
There is no need to install any additional software on a Win10 system to run both LoG's. Just run their installers and go.
Is it because the game installer installs DirectX 9? (if it does) ...and if that gets corrupted, wouldn't a DX9 reinstall fix it? —as would an LoG2 reinstall.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Isaac wrote:
Is it because the game installer installs DirectX 9? (if it does) ...and if that gets corrupted, wouldn't a DX9 reinstall fix it? —as would an LoG2 reinstall.
Win10 has it's own DX9 release build-in, an advanced version named 9Ex. DX9 installers feature version 9.0c at best which is considered outdated by Win10. Therefore nothing should happen / change on Win10 running those installers.

Any modification/corruption to the DX9 (and all other) driver files will be repaired by the tools i mentioned above using Win10's own system repository located under C:\Windows\WinSxS. As long as those system repository files are not corrupted repair attempts should usually work out. Drivers and installers made for Win10 should not harm the repository but older drivers can - happend to me - so be very careful with them!