Odd Graphical Glitches...

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
Waffles

Odd Graphical Glitches...

Post by Waffles »

Greetings and salutations everyone,

I have recently installed LoG on my computer at home as of today. Now I did get to play it on another computer and everything was fine, fun, and freaking cool. However I have noticed an odd graphical glitch that I have never seen before, and I tried everything at my disposal to correct it within my own sphere of knowledge. However, I find that I have failed in discovering a solution. So I went searching for an answer on these forums, but to no avail. I hope I have just missed a thread or something because this is pretty awkward. Further compounding the issue is my inability to accurately describe it. Like it is a being without form, but infinitely horrible. So I decided to take some screenshots to show what I have seen. So that my words are not mistaken for the ramblings of an insane man. This diabolical evil pervades every corner...Without further ado I will show you the screenshots I am talking about:

First to talk about is this door, now...every door is like this. No exception. It waits for me at every turn.

Even the pull chain cannot escape the grasp of this most devious beast.

Or even the harmless chains that are on the wall fall victim to it's absolute corruption...

Even the statue in the first secret area finds itself to be ravaged by this insidious miasma...

I could have survived these things, but then this monstrosity came slithering up to me:

No matter how I tried looking at it "differently". It's hideous visage assaulted me like some terrible ancient eldritch horror.

So I hope by now you can see my problem. I have battled this foe, but changing every conceivable settings within the game itself had little affect. When I changed the resolution sometimes things would be restored, but only for a precious moment did I find peace. For it returned with a vengeance. I sought instead to look into my graphics card. Yes I am using the accursed ATI graphics card. No doubt the traitor responsible that has led this abomination into my home. If you wish to know it's name...it is ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500. *Spats to one side* Merely speaking it's name summons a taste most foul...Yet I have labored over it's many settings, it's...many dark corridors. To no avail. So now I reach out to you. My brethren at arms within this labyrinth. To aid me in defeating this powerful foe...

So yeah thanks for reading, and thanks for any possible help you can give me. Thanks! ^~^
Rastabaxus

Re: Odd Graphical Glitches...

Post by Rastabaxus »

Best thing I've read all week, thanks for the story! :lol:
BlueLegion

Post by BlueLegion »

It's better than playing the game for 5 minutes before you get a bluescreen. That was my experience with EVERY GAME on an nvidea card
Kelvin

Post by Kelvin »

The last time I saw graphical glitches like that (In Age of Mythology, not Grimrock, though), it was due to my graphics card overheating. You might check your GPU fan and case airflow.
zalewapl

Post by zalewapl »

Update your drivers, update your system. If this persists your graphics card is most likely irreversibly screwed. I've seen problems like this before. I once had a NVidia 6600 card which was overclocked all the time. After 2 years it started to render random glitches like these in Oblivion and in Civilization IV. That card was broken, even though it worked for the most part and it worked rather stable without any crashes.
Currently I'm also using ATI card (MSI HD5850 Twin Frozr II). No problems on my end, no problems at all.
Waffles

Post by Waffles »

Thanks to everyone who has posted in response to this. I did however find the solution to my problem. I don't have my video card overclocked, and it has only been a year in service so I knew that this was not the problem. I did however test other games to see if the problem is pervasive, and it was. Of which I should have checked before making this post. In truth it's a video card problem, and not the fault of LoG. So for this I do apologize. As for the solution...I remembered that my video card had updated when I was gone, so I simply did a driver rollback, and now everything is working fine. Graphics are back to nominal form, and everything is in good form. So yeah something in the update had gimped my video card, but I am not sure what. Either way it was an ATI problem, but it's all cool now. So yeah thanks again for your help guys ^~^!