Accessing Grimrock folders.

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Gradunk

Accessing Grimrock folders.

Post by Gradunk »

So i'm trying to create some dungeons and stuff, but i can't access any of the .lua files.
all the folders in mod-assets\cinematics or animation or scripts etc. are empty and i don't know how to change that.
Any Help?
Isaac

Re: Accessing Grimrock folders.

Post by Isaac »

Gradunk wrote:So i'm trying to create some dungeons and stuff, but i can't access any of the .lua files.
all the folders in mod-assets\cinematics or animation or scripts etc. are empty and i don't know how to change that.
Any Help?
They are empty because the folders are there for the user to add their own content. The game reads its own assets from the internalized 'assets/animation' [or script, or cinematics] folder.

To change them you need to re-define them; accessing them is a bit of a chicken & egg problem; you have to know their names and locations already, before you can reference them or rewrite their definitions.

If you just want to add your own cinematic, you can add your TGA images to the folder and define your cinematic as outlined here: http://www.grimrock.net/modding/how-to- ... inematics/
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Just a note. If you haven't already you can download the official "Asset Pack" which contains a lot of the assets from the original game so that you can modify them and drop them in your own dungeon, including all of the 'object/item' definition lua files so you can easily see what properties current entities have if you want to make things that fit in numerically.

http://www.grimrock.net/modding/asset-pack/
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Gradunk

Post by Gradunk »

I've looked a lot online for things to add. spells was one of them. the person who uploaded the code said to save it in the spells.lua and i tried that but i would have had to overwrite the exsisting file.
I've also already uploaded a cinematic to the game but the file still claims it's empty and i can't get it to appear in the editor. i know it's there but it doesn't show anywhere.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Gradunk wrote:I've looked a lot online for things to add. spells was one of them. the person who uploaded the code said to save it in the spells.lua and i tried that but i would have had to overwrite the exsisting file.
I've also already uploaded a cinematic to the game but the file still claims it's empty and i can't get it to appear in the editor. i know it's there but it doesn't show anywhere.
The script files in the mod folders are empty until customized. The game uses the internal default files for its definitions. Any object defined in the mod_asset/scripts is loaded afterwards, and either adds to the available objects in the game, or replaces any object definition of the exact same name as its own. So if you defined an item named 'dagger' it would replace the default dagger in the game; while defining 'myDagger' will add the new item to the game, and you could have both.

I don't think the editor will show cinematics, you have to export the game and play from the DAT.